top of page

Name Change of Child/Adult


Zariah A'londra Tax and Legal Services is not a law firm or a substitute for an attorney or law firm. The law is complex and changes often. For legal advice, please ask a lawyer.

Name Change of Child/Adult

Reasons for a Name Change

There are many situations in which an individual might wish to legally change their name, but the following are some of the most common reasons.

Marriage and Name Change- No purchase required.

If you are simply taking your spouse's last name or adding their name to yours (with or without a hyphen), you can do so in the name-change section of the marriage certificate. No court procedure is needed. 

Take the marriage certificate to the county clerk's office for filing, along with a government ID and proof of your Social Security number. Fees range from about $30 to $85, depending on the county. Certified copies of the filed marriage certificate can be obtained for an additional fee.

Divorce and Name Change- No purchase required.

You can request a name change in a petition for divorce or in an answer to a petition for divorce. The name change will be included in the divorce decree. You can then apply for a change of name certificate at the county clerk's office, without having to go to court.

Name Change for a Minor Child   **Click to Purchase

Changing the name of a child under the age of 18 requires essentially the same court procedure as that for an adult. An additional requirement is that the child's parents or legal guardian must consent in writing to the change. Also, if the child is 10 years of age or older, the child must also consent in writing.

Court Name-Change Procedures  

You must be at least 18 years of age to file for a name change. For a person under the age of 18, the consent of parents or a legal guardian is required. You will need to file for a name change in the county where you reside.

The court procedure for a name change involves six steps (which require the preparation of two forms):

1. Obtain a copy of your fingerprints and a background check.

You will need to have your fingerprints taken and submit them to both the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Texas Department of Public Safety. The FBI charges $14.75, and the Texas Department of Public Safety charges $15. Contact the court clerk's office for your county to find out where you can get fingerprints taken and where they should be sent. You can also visit for information about having your prints taken at a “print and go" location.

2. Complete the form Original Petition for Change of Name of an Adult. **Click to Purchase

The petition requires the following information:

  • Your present full legal name and place of residence
  • Your sex, race, and date of birth
  • The driver's license number for each driver's license issued in the 10 years before the date of the petition
  • Your Social Security number
  • The full name you are requesting
  • The reason for the name change
  • Whether you have ever been convicted of a final felony
  • Whether you are subject to the Texas sex-offender registration requirements
  • Any assigned FBI number, state identification number, or any other reference number in a criminal history record system that identifies you, if known.
  • Any offense above the grade of Class C misdemeanor for which you been charged (even if not convicted), along with the case number and court if a warrant was issued or a charging instrument was filed or presented.
  • The petition must be accompanied by a legible and complete set of your fingerprints on a fingerprint card format acceptable to the Texas Department of Public Safety and the FBI.

*Complete Instructions and documents are included in your Name Change Adult/Child kit**

Smart, Simple Coverage Starts Here!

Get access to professional consultation, letters and phone calls, contract and document review, 24/7 emergency access, trial defense services, court representation, and other benefits.

After Your Name Change Is Official

Once you have purchased the proper documentation to prove your name change, you will need to obtain a new Social Security card, driver's license, vehicle registration, voter registration, and passport.

Name Change and Driver's License

You must change your name on your driver's license within 30 days of your name change. This is done by taking your original or certified name-change document (marriage license, divorce decree, court order) to the driver's license office.

Name Change and Birth Certificates

You cannot change your name on your birth certificate, except to correct a mistake (such as in spelling). If you obtained a court order granting the petition to change your name and gender, you can apply to amend your birth certificate to reflect the gender change only. You will need to file your doctor's letter, a certified copy of the court order, and Form VS170, Application to Amend Birth Certificate with the court clerk's office.

Zariah A'londra Tax and Legal Services is not a law firm or a substitute for an attorney or law firm. The law is complex and changes often. For legal advice, please ask a lawyer.

Contact Us for additional information.



Email Address*



If you have any additional questions or concerns regarding this subject matter please seek the advice of a legal attorney. 

Our firm regularly works with attorney's so that we may offer you the best service possible. Please submit your concerns and someone will contact you shortly.

We look forward to working with you soon. Thank you for choosing Zariah A'londra Tax & Legal Services.

This website only contains general legal information and does not contain legal advice. Zariah A'londra Tax and Legal Services is not a law firm or a substitute for an attorney or law firm. The law is complex and changes often. For legal advice, please ask a lawyer.

bottom of page